Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Dystopia today - drive by elephant shootings

I keep forgetting about this one.  I saw it first in my hard copy of the Wall Street Journal.
 
As we know from our reading, wandering elephants are potential post-apocalyptic scenery, so I felt this little bit of news was on point.

Ringling Bros. Elephant Hit By Bullet in Drive-By Shooting
Authorities say a Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus elephant was hit by a bullet in a drive-by shooting in Tupelo, Miss.

Fortunately the poor gal was not hurt badly. In all the discussions as to work which better, a 9mm pistol, or .45 ACP pistol round, none of them take elephants into account.
 
There has been no follow up stories, so I am not sure if the perpetrators have been caught.
Which we review here

6 comments:

JaneofVirginia said...

What a world. Even the elephants aren't safe.

russell1200 said...

Jane, Well they are big, and with perps blazing away randomly, big is not better. I also reminds me a little of 12 Monkeys (the movie) and the escaped zoo animals.

PioneerPreppy said...

David Brin's "Postman" had some issues with wild zoo animals running around as well. In the book and the movie.

The book was much better though.

russell1200 said...

Pioneer: I had read that one so long ago, I had forgotten that.

It took me a minute to find it, but there is even an apocalyptic book written from the point of view of a couple of blue whales.

Lloyd Abbey's Last Whale.

Linda said...

I live near Tupelo, MS, and I cannot imagine drive-by shootings, much less a circus in town.

russell1200 said...

Linda: The crime index for Tupelo is dead in the middle of the pack for MS. So I agree that Tupelo is not the most likely place for drive-by-shootings.

But why wouldn't the circus come? You have ~35,000 people.