Saturday, August 4, 2012

Zombie bees

Some people actually do bee-things.  And then there is myself, who can just find bee-stuff in weird corners of the Internet.

Are Zombie Bees Infiltrating Your Neighborhood
Scientific American, 24 July 2012 (hat tip: Fark)

Zombie bees are not science fiction. They are real—and real threat to already-threatened U.S. honeybee populations.
Honeybees (Apis mellifera) in California and South Dakota have been observed acting zombielike, wandering away from their hives at night and crawling around blindly in circles.
You'll have to educate your self at either of the Scientific American links (headline is a follow up to embedded link).

It is pretty cool that Scientific American is picking up on my Apocalyptic Tactical theme with the reference to "infiltration".  I didn't bring it up in my last round of discussions because I thought it was more of a large unit issue.  I didn't think of it from a six-legged perspective. 

Zombie Bee (picture originally from John Hafernik)

3 comments:

dennis said...

Oh Oh Preppy Pioneer is going to get the Zombee Apocalypse at the Small Holding.

PioneerPreppy said...

LOL I read about that it's some kind of fly or something. A parasite that takes control of the bee.

Really weird stuff.

russell1200 said...

D: I am sure the zombie bees parasites, are still a lesser concern for PP than the parasites found at his his nearest large urban area.

PP: Yes, no doubt about it, some of the insect parasites are very strange - in this case a little fly which you can see in the picture.